- House League Services
- Respect My Game
Softball Ontario Female House League Select Provincial Championships – Rule Exceptions
All competition rules are established by Softball Canada. Please refer to below for exceptions.
- All verified player eligibility violations as defined in the following will result in the disqualification of the team from this year’s event and the disqualification of the home association from entering any teams in next year’s tournament.
- A registration form, payment, proof of insurance , waiver and registration sheets signed by all players, coaches, and parents/guardians of players who will be under 18 at the time of the tournament (maximum of 15 players) and submitted by July 28, 2017 for teams to be considered for the Select tournament.
- Players must not be carded with PWSA, OASA, or ORSA in the current year.
- Players must be registered with and played in their house league association.
- Players may only play for one select team.
- U18 teams are allowed to include two U21 players who may not pitch.
- Due to the fact that some associations have only one team per division or interlock with neighboring associations, the following rules will also apply:
- A Select team may be a lone registered House League team from one association provided they are the only team in the age group.
- A Select team can be made up of registered House League players from more than one association if each association has only one team to draw its players from and these associations play each other in their House League program.
None of the Minor Softball Rules for U12 will be in effect. Therefore, in all age divisions, Softball Canada Fast Pitch playing rules will apply with the following exceptions:
- No metal cleats are allowed.
- Approved protective cages on batting helmets are mandatory.
- In the U12 and U14 Divisions, batters and base-runners must have chin straps on the helmet, which shall be worn properly under the chin.
4.0 Coaches, Players and Substitutions
- Teams must have 9 players to start the game, but can continue with 8 if an injury occurs. However if a player ejection results in 8 remaining players then the game is forfeited.
- If a player arrives late, they may be added to the bottom of the line-up provided you have not gone through the complete batting order.
- Unlimited defensive substitutions are allowed.
- Replacement runner: the player designated to be the catcher in the next inning is the only player eligible to have a replacement runner.
5.0 The Game
- Home team will decided by coin toss with the winner having the choice of being the home or visiting team.
- Run Ahead Rule is 15 or more runs after 4 innings OR
- For U12 division: 10 or more runs after 4.5 or 5 completed innings
- For other divisions: 7 or more runs after 4.5 or 5 completed innings
3. Playing Time: No new inning will start after 90 minutes or 7 innings, whichever comes first. The plate umpire will keep the official time and will call the official start time with the first pitch. This rule shall apply to all games including the Finals.
4. The Home team, if leading, will be allowed to complete their at-bat in the final inning. This rule does not apply to Final games.
- All players will bat.
- Where an injured player is removed from play, her place in the line-up is bypassed. Where a player is ejected from the game for any other reason, her place in the line-up is considered an automatic out.
- A batter must declare before her at-bat that she will require a courtesy runner, and must reach first base before the runner comes in. The courtesy runner is the last person in the batting order who is not on base at the time of use.
8.0 Batter-runner and Runner
- For U12 the dropped third strike rule in NOT in effect. The batter is out on a dropped third strike.
- No protests. All decisions rendered on the diamond are final.
- If round robin games are played, the winning team is awarded 2 points and the losing team 0 points. Any game that ends in a tie will be declared a tie and each team will be awarded 1 point for that game.
- Ties after the round robin will be broken in the following manner.
a. Head to head competition.
b. Least defensive runs allowed.
c. Plus or minus to a maximum of 7 (10 for U12) runs per game. Full innings only will be used.
d. Flip of a coin – if two teams flip will determine
If three teams, flips will eliminate one team – then refer back to A)
To download a PDF version of these Rule Exceptions, please click here.